FAQ – Questions and answers regarding the Punch Tap technology
What is Punch Tap
- It is a new technology for the very fast production of internal threads.
- It is also called “helical thread forming”
What does the name Punch Tap mean?
- The name Punch Tap is derived from the punch in professional boxing and characterizes the sudden plunge of the tool and the fast retraction.
How does a Punch Tap work?
- Information concerning the functionality can be found in the product video or in the product brochure.
Who invented the new production technology and who developed the Punch Tap?
- AUDI and EMUGE are the inventors and developers of the Punch Tap technology
What are the advantages of the Punch Tap?
- Time savings at the production of internal threads.
- Energy savings
- Only one storage position is needed in the tool magazine
- The thread flank is produced in a cold-forming process
Is the Punch Tap available only from EMUGE?
- Yes, only from EMUGE. The process and the tool are patented.
Who can be delivered with Punch Tap?
How does the time advantage of the Punch Tap compare to a cold-forming tap in a synchronous machining cycle?
- The time advantage of Punch Tap is up to 75%
Which materials can a Punch Tap be used for?
- In particular aluminum cast or wrought alloys and similar light metals that are suitable for cold forming.
Which types of threads are possible with the Punch Tap?
- Currently metric systems
- Other sharp threads (UNC, UNF, Self-Lock…) are possible
Which dimensions are possible with the Punch Tap?
- Dimensions M1 to M10 are available.
- Smaller sizes are possible
How long is the difference between pre-drill hole and usable thread length at Punch Tap?
- Form E: 3 pitches (=2 pitches for Punching teeth and 1 pitch safety distance to the bottom of the pre drilled hole)
- Form F: 2 pitches (=1 pitches for Punching teeth and 1 pitch safety distance to the bottom of the pre drilled hole)
Will cold formed threads or cut threads be produced by Punch Tap?
- Punch Tap produces cold formed threads.
Which tolerances can a Punch Tap achieve?
- Currently 6H
- Other tolerances (6G, 7G…) are possible
Which depths of thread are suitable for a Punch Tap?
- Up to 3xD has been tested
On which machines can a Punch Tap be used?
- On CNC machine tools with a sync control system with available Punch Tap cycle
How will the Punch Tap cycle be implemented?
- The implementation of the Punch Tap cycle will be done by machine tool builder or control unit supplier.
Is the Punch Tap already in use in series production?
- The mass production at the AUDI plant in Györ was in the beginning of 2016
Can a Punch Tap be reground?
Which design does the Punch Tap have?
- Shank in h6 tolerance with lateral inclined clamping flat
- Dimensions according to EMUGE-standard, depending on application
Which type of tool holder does the Punch Tap require?
- A special EMUGE Punch Tap (PT Synchro) holder is used
- Due to the specific process a rigid clamping is necessary
- The jerky tension- and compression forces and the torque, must be transferred.
- Conventional clamping systems are not suitable for these types of stress.
What type of holes can the Punch Tap be used for?
- There is one basic tool for blind holes and through-holes
What is the suitable pre-drill diameter respectively tolerance?
- Analogous to conventional thread forming
- It might be necessary to adjust pre-drill diameter and tolerance.
- Chart for recommended pre-drill diameter: see product brochure
How can you gauge the produced thread?
- As usual, with conventional gauges according to DIN ISO 1502.
- The minor diameter with a smooth Go/No-Go plug gauge with tolerance -7H
- The thread is gauged with Go/No-Go thread plug gauge with tolerance -6H
When will chips occur in the process?
- When punching the two helical grooves (immersion of the tool into the workpiece)
- During retraction of the tool. Some material, that entered the helical groove during thread forming, will be pulled out.
What does Punch Tap cost?
- Please ask for an offer
Is a questionnaire available?
- A technical questionnaire is available.